THE JOURNEY SO FAR
The Department came into existence in 1990, combining Science and Enginnering together as one course of study,
with a view to addressing squarely two budding computing problems in the country,
namely: the shortage of skilled hardware and software specialists who are specifically trained to use modern productivity tools,
and lack of research personnel to provide indigenous computer solution to local problems.
The philosophy of the Department follows from the contemporary reasoning in which the human and material resources has to be juxtaposed
and harnessed together(management) via scientific and programmatic approaches. Towards this end, the curriculum is broad and interdisciplinary.
Our two undergraduate programmes are designed to be unique in content and to differ from currently existing computer science curriculum in
the following respects.
Theoretical computing concepts are emphasised in view of the need for computing research personnel in the country.
Therefore, Students are able to actually qualify as skilled software or hardware specialists specializing in modern areas of computing and
its electronic allies.
The engineering and mathematical contents of the programmes ensure that their products are able to function outside data processing
environment. Both Softuware Engineering and Hardware Design Laboratories are emphasized depending on which of the two programmes a student has chosen.
The Objectives of the Programme are:
|a) The Department aims at training a critical mass of highly effective Bachelors' Degree holder with detailed and specialized
knowledge in the IT field.
||b) The Department envisions the need to provide for professionals in the field, the opportunities to upgrade their qualification
and re-orientation of the specialization.
||(c) The Department emphasized the need to integrate computing Techniques across a wide variety of multi-disciplinary domain with a
view to enhance the relative performance and overall output.|
Welcome to Computer Science Department
The Best Place To Get your B.sc in Computer Science.
We Build Men
Who in turn build the Nation through computer technology.
We are Thinkers
We change the world with our creativity.
THE COMPUTER SCIENCE DEPARTMENT
Recently. in the year 2021, the two fields that this department umbrellas was splitted into two for effectiveness -
COMPUTER SCIENCE and COMPUTER ENGINEERING.
OBJECTIVES OF COMPUTER SCIENCE DEPARTMENT
The Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science programme is designed to prepare students to obtain employment in the computer science field
or as a course of study leading to graduate studies in Computer Science and related field.
The aim and objectives of bachelors (Honours) degree programme in Computer Science include:
- To create in students the awareness of and enthusiasm for Computer Science and its capabilities.
- To involve the students in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying
- To provide a broad and balanced foundation in Computer Science knowledge and practical skills.
- To develop students through an education in Computer Science with a range of transferable applicable skills of information technology to all aspects ofhuman endeavors.
- .To develop students with an appreciation of the importance of computing in an industrial, economic, technological and social context.
- To produce outstanding graduate with knowledge and skills necessary for further studics in every diversify area of Computer Science field or multi-disciplinary studies involving Computing.
Requirement for Admission Into the Department
For UTME candidates, the requirements for admission in order to earn a b.tech Degree in Computer Science stipulates that, candidates are;
(a) Required to have a minimum of credits in five subjects at the SSCE, WASC, NECO or GCE 'O' level
the subjects are physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, English Language and any other Science course related to the field.
(b) the candidate is also expected to meet the cut off mark for such admission period.
The admission requirements are as the one specified for the UTME candidates above.
Any candidtates who have successfully gone through the University one year Pre-degree program is as
well expected to meet the specified minimum cut-off mark given in the PDs examination before admission.
Candidates shall possess the followings in addition to the minimum requirements above
- Two A' Level subjects including Mathematics, Physics or Chemistry with minimum of credit passes Mathematics,
- i At least Upper Credit Pass in National Diploma in Computer Science/lnformation Science or any Computer related course from a recognized Polytechnic or its equivalent;
- At least Lower Credit Pass in Higher National Diploma in Computer Science/Information Science/Cyber Security or any Computer related courses from a recognized Polytechnic or its equivalent
Learn more about the course unit system and regulation governing the award of Degree in the school.